Al Sahwa is a bilingual IB World School situated in Muscat, Oman serving the local Omani community, as well as the bilingual expatriate community. The school was established in 1993 under the ownership of the Royal Office and Royal Oman Police Pension Funds, on land donated by the late His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, to ‘provide high quality international education whilst embracing traditional values based on the foundations of Oman’s cultural heritage’.
On opening day in 1993, Al Sahwa consisted of one class each from Kindergarten 1 to Grade 11 with an enrolment of approximately 300 students. The curriculum offered then was based on the British National Curriculum and the Omani Ministry of Education programmes.
Over the past 30 years, the School has grown to over 1100 students and 200 staff, representing 31 nationalities, with facilities and programs to match.
Al Sahwa is now a fully authorised IB World School and holds Council of International Schools accreditation.
As part of the ongoing development and vision for excellence, in 2013 Al Sahwa Schools was authorised to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP) and became the first local, bilingual school to offer this prestigious programme. This initiative was underpinned by work to bring the IB Middle Years Program (MYP) and IB Diploma Program (DP) to the school. The school is now a fully authorised IB World school having gained authorisation for the MYP and DP in 2020-2021. The school runs the Thanawiya Amma alongside the DP.
Al Sahwa was awarded Council of International Schools (CIS) accreditation in 2018, joining only a handful of schools in the Sultanate with this certification.